Friday, September 10, 2010

Last Name Blocks

I recently posted a picture of the mantle over my fireplace. A lot of you have asked how I made my "Gardner" blocks. So again, I made a tutorial to explain how I did it.

Please remember, I wasnt planning on making this tutorial when I made these so I dont have pictures to go along with my directions. Please let me know if anything is too confusing and Ill be happy to help.

First, I went to Hope Depot and had them cut a 4x4 post. Ask them if they have any scrap wood available. I paid $2 for 10 blocks instead of $14 for an entire post. If they dont already have scraps they will usually find a piece they can cut for you. Have them cut the post into 4x4x4 blocks. I always get 1 or 2 more than I need in case I mess up.

Next, sand down your blocks.

Then, paint the blocks whatever color you want your letters to be. I painted mine white first.

Once they have dried, apply your vinyl lettering.

Next paint over the blocks again with whatever color you want your blocks to be (I used red)

Once they have dried, slowly pull off your vinyl lettering.

I then took sand paper and brushed over the surface of the blocks to give it a "weathered" look. I sanded the edges a little more than the surface to make the effect a little more dramatic.

And thats it!!!

I also made some for fall but wanted my letters to be bigger than the vinyl letters I had. So instead I hand painted them on, after I painted them green.

Leave a comment and let me know what you think!







No comments:

Post a Comment