Friday, September 17, 2010

Fabric Pumpkins!

Ok so here goes my first tutorial that I actually planned on making!

I wanted to add some color to my fireplace mantle to give it that "fall" look. Im still planning on
adding some candles and candle sticks.

Just a little disclaimer... this tutorial involved a sewing machine. But dont get scared! You can still sew it by hand if you want, it will just take longer. Im TERRIBLE at sewing straight lines.
Fortunately, this project doesn't require you to do so. So dont be scared to try this
out! Remember, when you sew anything, sew it together inside out. Then you will flip it right side out. (the pictures well help explain this)

I went to the JoAnns (I prefer hobby lobby but they were closed because it was Sunday) and bought some discounted fall fabric, ribbon and thread.

First I cut out a small rectangle out of my dark green fabric. I then turned it inside out and
sewed all but the bottom together. I then stuffed it and set it aside. So it looks like this...


Next I took my fabric, folded it in half and cut out a square (so I had two squares)
I then took each individual square and folded them in half, with the wrong side facing out. I then sewed a seam down the inside corner.


Next I cut off the corner of the fabric.


When you open it up it should look like this...

Next lay the "stem" in between the 2 pieces of fabric. The right sides should be facing each other.
Sew all sides but the bottom. When you get to the bottom sew, half way and stop. Turn the pumpkin inside out (actually, its technically "right side out") and stuff with stuffing.
Finish sewing the bottom ( i hand sewed this part) Tie a ribbon around the top and then you are done!!!



Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment