Monday, September 6, 2010

Poor Mans Canvas


So Ive decided to make a craft blog. While my husband is deployed I usually end up making things for the house to help pass the time. So here goes my first tutorial...

I posted some pictures on Facebook of my self titled "Poor Mans Canvas" and got a lot of questions about how I made them. Since I wasn't planning on doing this when I made them, I didnt take pictures along the way, so I hope my directions will be easy enough.

I went to Home Depot and had them cut a piece of finished wood (MDF I think is what its called. Just tell them that and if its not they will know what you are talking about) in to 8 12x12 pieces. (I put 2 aside for other projects)

Then I went to Sams and had them print my pictures in the 12x12 size. Each print cost less than $3 (as opposed to Kinkos who wanted $67-ish for 6 prints). I brought my pictures in on an SD card and told the guy behind the counter what I was doing. He had me do what I wanted on one of the machines and then sent it back to his computer behind the counter and verified everything with me before he printed it. (Note: make sure you do this before you do the rest of your shopping. Printing takes about 20 minutes if there is no wait)

Next I took a can of black spray paint and spray painted the edges of all the wood pieces.

Once they were dry, I Mod-Podged the back of the picture AND the wood and stuck the picture to the wood. I bought my Mod- Podge in a "Matte" finish at Hobby Lobby. I think you can get it at Wal-Mart too. It runs around $6 and goes a long way!

After all the pictures dried to the wood, I did a layer of Mod- Podge over the picture with a paint brush. The bristles gave it the streaky canvas look and sealed the picture to the wood as well.

After that I just bought picture hooks, and stuck them to the back.

And your done!!! Trust me, if I can do it, so can you!!!


Here is the finished project...






No comments:

Post a Comment